Our team of top rated Rhode Island slip and fall lawyers at the Marin and Barrett Law Firm can help bring a premises liability claim to hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries and ensure you receive maximum financial compensation. Hiring a top rated Rhode Island slip and fall attorney will allow you to maximize your financial recovery and take significant stress off your plate by allowing us to handle all of the legal aspects of your injury case.
Slip & Fall? Start Here.
REQUEST YOUR FREE CASE REVIEW WITH A RI PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER TODAY.
If you have been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident, you are likely worried about receiving the necessary medical care to fully heal your injuries and about being able to pay your medical bills and medical costs. Our team of aggressive slip and fall attorneys at the Rhode Island personal injury law firm of Marin and Barrett, Inc. stand ready to fight to help victims of slip and fall accidents obtain the necessary medical care you need to fully recover from your injuries. We know how to work with insurance carriers and our proven personal injury case strategies will help you fully maximize your settlement.
Attorney Marin has been ranked by the SuperLawyers organization as a “Rising Star” and now a “SuperLawyer” from 2014 through 2022. We will fight for to recover the financial compensation you need and deserve. Contact the skilled Rhode Island slip and fall accident attorneys at Marin and Barrett, Inc. to get skilled legal advice and to find out how we can help. Call to schedule a free, no obligation premises liability claim evaluation today. We are available 24/7 at 401-298-9116 to take your call.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER HIRING AN INJURY ATTORNEY?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, you need an attorney that will fight for you. Here is what you should expect:
- Your personal injury lawyer should see you in person, whether at the office, your home, or the hospital
- Gather evidence about the accident, how it happened, and who may be responsible
- Determine the party or parties who may be liable
- Figure out what your case is worth
- Negotiate with the other parties, the insurance company, and their attorneys
- File a premises liability lawsuit if need be
- Build a case for settlement or trial, depending on your needs
RI Slip, Trip and Fall Injury Attorneys
YOU ONLY PAY IF WE WIN
2023 Top Rated Lawyers Marin, Barrett & Parrillo
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER SUFFERING A SLIP, TRIP OR FALL INJURY?
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident, the steps you take immediately following can be critical to preserving the proof needed for a personal injury lawsuit. Evidence in these types of cases tends to be perishable, so securing it soon after the fact can be extraordinarily helpful. You should do your best to take the following steps:
- Get the contact information for any potential witnesses
- Take photos of the area and the dangerous conditions
- Make a written report to the property owner or manager
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Do not speak with or give a statement to the opposing insurance adjuster
- Do not sign anything or relinquish your rights with an adjuster
- Consult with a RI slip and fall attorney as soon as possible
SHOULD I HIRE THE BEST PROVIDENCE SLIP AND FALL LAW FIRM?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall, we certainly know how uncertain and scary things may seem. In addition to dealing with the injuries and rehabilitation, you have to worry about mounting bills, lost income, and reckoning with what very well may be a lifestyle that has permanently changed. At Marin and Barrett, Inc., we are committed to helping you through this process, providing a line of defense between you and the insurance adjusters, and ensuring that you get full value for your injuries, property damage, pain, and suffering. You have the right to seek compensation for your injuries including both economic damages and non-economic damages. Call us today at 401-298-9116 to schedule your free, no obligation initial consultation with an experienced lawyer today.
WHAT ARE COMMON INJURIES AFTER A SLIP, TRIP OR FALL ACCIDENT?
Slip and fall accidents can result in injuries ranging from minor to catastrophic, and include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and head injuries
- Bumps and bruises
- Broken bones; broken ankle and broken leg
- Facial injuries
- Torn ligaments or sprains
- Knee injuries
- Other severe injuries and debilitating injuries
Depending on the age of the victim and the severity of the injuries, slip and fall accidents may require multiple months if not years of medical treatment, including doctor’s visits, x-rays and MRIS, surgeries, and physical therapy. Between medical expenses, short term, long term, and permanent disability, and a lower quality of life, the toll these injuries can take on a person and their loved ones can be staggering.
If the injured person dies as a result of their slip, trip or fall accident, a loved one may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the individual or company that failed to remedy the unsafe conditions that lead to the slip and fall accident.
If the accident was the result of a person, company, or government organization failing to exercise reasonable care and allowing a defective condition to endanger the safety of persons including yourself, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call the RI slip and fall lawyers at Marin and Barrett, Inc. at 401-298-9116 today for experienced legal representation. There is no obligation and we don’t get paid unless you get paid as our premises liability lawyers work strictly on a contingency fee basis.
HOW MUCH IS A SLIP-AND-FALL CASE WORTH? HOW MUCH CAN I RECOVER?
The amount of financial compensation can vary greatly based on the severity of the injuries, as well as other factors pertaining to the property, the owner, and the injured. Common examples of damages include:
- Medical expenses, including past, present, and future bills including hospital bills and medical records
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and loss of earnings, both from missed work and missed future earning potential
- Household bills
- Transportation costs
- Pain and suffering
- Anxiety and post-traumatic stress
- Loss of companionship or consortium
Every case is different and the amount and type of damages to which an individual is entitled varies greatly from case to case. If you are a loved one feel you are entitled to financial compensation, call a local Providence slip and fall lawyer today for a free consultation and premises liability accident case evaluation.
WHO IS LIABLE FOR MY INJURIES IN A SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT?
Property owners and managers owe a duty of care to those on their property, and failure to exercise reasonable care and properly maintain a safe property may make them liable for damages suffered if they fail to do so. This is known as premises liability. Those who may owe damages under premises liability include negligent property owners or occupiers of the property, retail stores or office buildings or other commercial property, the state, local, or federal government, or a homeowner.
The duty of care owed to a person on the premises depends on why type of guest the injured party is at the time of the injury.
TYPES OF GUESTS INJURED IN SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Invitees include social guests of a property who do not live there, or customers or patrons of a store or business who are invited onto the property to conduct regular business. Invitees are owed the highest duty of care.
Licensees are a type of visitor who have the privilege to enter a property, such as a mailman, a guest, or a door to door salesman. Licensees are owed a lesser duty of care but may nevertheless recover damages depending on how the slip and fall takes place.
Trespassers are individuals who either enter or remain on the property without the owner’s permission. Notwithstanding that the entry may be illegal, property owners nevertheless owe a duty of reasonable care to a trespasser and he or she may still be able to collect damages for injuries sustained due to a slip and fall on the property.
ELEMENTS FOR A SUCCESSFUL SLIP AND FALL LAWSUIT
- The property owner knew that the hazardous condition existed, or should have known in the exercise of ordinary care. For instance, a store owner has “actual notice” of a dangerous condition such as a loose step because he steps over it every day; or “constructive notice” of a spilled item on the floor because it had been there for a period of time and he should have known.
- The property owner neglected to take the reasonable steps necessary to prevent your injury due to the dangerous condition, either by failing to fix it, such as by repairing the step; or failing to give adequate warning, by putting up a “Caution: wet floor” sign.
- That the negligence resulted in the accident and the injuries sustained. For instance, a customer tripped on the broken step or slipped on the spilled liquid
Determining liability, figuring out whose responsibility it was to take reasonable care to prevent the accident, is a necessary step in recovering fair compensation for a slip and fall injury victim. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident, and event it is a minor injury, call us today and take the first steps towards recovering the financial compensation you deserve. The call with an accident lawyer is free, there is no obligation, and our premises liability lawyers only get paid if you get paid.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO FILE A SLIP AND FALL LAWSUIT IN RHODE ISLAND?
Rhode Island has statutes of limitation, which place time limits on how long an injured party may wait to file their claim. Rhode Island General Law 9-1-14(b) states that “actions for injuries to the person shall be commenced and sued within three years…” meaning that you have three years from the date of the slip, trip or fall accident to file suit before becoming permanently barred from doing so.
The best way to prevent the statute of limitations from barring your potential accident claim is to take action right away. At Marin and Barrett, Inc., our accident lawyers are committed to ensuring that you recover the money that you deserve from your accident.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Slip and fall accidents can happen anytime and almost anywhere. There are virtually limitless examples of these types of accidents, each with its own nuance and variables. Here are a few:
- A patron of a grocery store is pushing her cart down the dairy aisle. She doesn’t notice the puddle of water coming out of a leaky cooler case and her foot slips out from under her. This defective condition typically creates a slippery surface that is a dangerous condition for patrons.
- A package delivery driver dropping off a parcel does not notice that the second porch step has rotted. He places his foot down on the broken step, it breaks underneath him, and he tumbles to the ground. This dangerous situation is due to the owners failure to make the property safe which leads to a dangerous condition.
- A department store customer is exiting the store and fails to notice the black ice that has accumulated in the walkway or parking lot and had not yet been cleared. He slips backwards on the ice and falls to the pavement due to the slippery surface.
- A young woman at a casino fails to notice that one of the machine wires has come loose above the carpet. She snags her foot on the obscured wire and falls forward.
COMMON CAUSES OF SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Sometimes slip and fall accidents are just that – accidents. But oftentimes there is a problem that either directly caused or contributed to the accident. The owner or operator of a public property or a property to which the public is invited owes a duty ensure that the premises are safe. Many of our cases arise as a result of a slip, trip or fall in grocery stores, parking lots, or other commercial establishments. Failure to take reasonable care to ensure a safe condition for the public is negligence under Rhode Island’s premises liability law and typically leads to some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents, including:
- Wet floors, slippery surfacers, or uneven surfaces
- Snowy or icy walkways
- Ripped or loose carpeting and rugs
- Broken, uneven, or missing stairs
- Broken, incomplete, or missing handrails
- Poorly lit or inadequate lighting walkways or stairwells
- Fluids spilled on floors
- Poorly or unmarked construction zones
- Holes or gaps in the sidewalk or walking surface
- Hoses or cords in the walkway
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INJURED IN SLIP AND FALL INCIDENTS?
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of injury in the United States. They can happen on a sidewalk, a parking garage, a supermarket, or at work – anywhere one can walk. These types of accidents happen without warning and oftentimes occur while people are going about their daily activities at a time that they least expect it. All age ranges are susceptible to these types of accidents, although the dangers and injuries can be particularly severe for the elderly and those of advanced age.
HOW MANY SLIP AND FALLS RESULT IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT TREATMENT?
Slip and fall injuries hurt businesses, they tax the healthcare system, but most importantly, they hurt the individual victim physically, emotionally, and financially. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip, trip or fall accident due to dangerous property conditions, you may be entitled to compensation.
TOP RATED SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT LAW FIRM
Slip and fall accidents are accidents for a reason – it is not a part of everyday life and victims never plan for it. Insurance companies do plan for it, and they make their business – and their money – by paying out as little as possible on every claim and frequently try to settle claims for substantially less than fair compensation. To that end, they will fight you tooth and nail, or attempt to squeeze through a settlement for considerably less than it is worth, oftentimes requiring victims to sign away their rights to sue.
Here are Marin and Barrett, Inc., our premises liability lawyers, Attorney Matthew Marin, Attorney Kensley Barrett, and Attorney Nicholas Parrillo, are here to fight for you against the responsible parties and the insurance companies so that you don’t have to and we stand committed to fighting to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. There is no obligation to file a personal injury claim and the consultation with a personal injury attorney is free and confidential. We only get paid if you win, so you have nothing to lose.
Experienced Slip and Fall Attorneys
Contact us 24/7 at 401-298-9116
To Learn More About Your Rights and Receive a Free No Obligation Consultation
YOU ONLY PAY IF WE WIN